The City of Archdale is responsible for maintaining main water lines and services lines to the meter. Water lines and pipes beyond the meter are the responsibility of the customer.
Preventing Frozen Pipes:
- Drain swimming pool supply lines, as well as lawn and landscape sprinkler system at the end of summer. (Do not put automotive antifreeze in drained water lines.)
- Remove, drain, and store outdoor hoses. If the outside faucets have shut-off valves, close them, and drain outside faucets. If no shut-off is available or if frost-free faucets have not been installed, cover the faucets with insulation of Styrofoam covers.
- Survey property for water supply lines that may be unprotected, such as unheated basements, attic areas, crawlspaces, garages, under cabinets, on exterior walls, at the water meter, or at the point where main supply lines cross the foundation into the hose.
- Insulate both hot and cold water lines in these areas (Hot water lines freeze as readily as cold water lines if water is not flowing through them.)
- Protect exposed pipes by wrapping them with foam pipe sleeves (taping at all junctions), covering with fiberglass insulation, or installing UL-listed heat tape or heat cable. Even several layers of newspaper will do in a pinch when temperatures are expected to remain cold for shorter periods.
- Meter lids should remain on the water meter box at all times.